Across the street from what used to be Cabrini Green is one of the city’s larger neighborhood parks. Sweard Park (375 West Elm Street) was established in 1908, and is named after Abraham Lincoln’s Secretary of state, William Seward, who was responsible for the United States buying Alaska from Russia.
The park is most noted for its large field house, the work of Dwight H. Perkins. Ninty-one years after this park opened, the clock tower pictured above was added. It was designed by Johnson, Johnson & Roy.