Five members of the American Institute of Architects were recognized for meritorious achievement Thursday night at the Ukranian Village home of Joe Valerio and Linda Searl. They were the 2013 A.I.A. Young Architects Award recipients.
The quintet has one other thing in common: they are all practicing architects in the Windy City, and they make up one-third of the national AIA Young Architects Award winners.
AIA Chicago President Peter Exley joked that—being in Chicago—it’s possible that Valerio and Searl’s grey cat may have cast a swing vote. Or two.
The award is given to individuals who have shown exceptional leadership and made significant contributions to the profession in an early stage of their architectural career.
Exley introduced the five honorees:
- Matt Dumich, project manager Valerio Dewalt Train Associates.
- Katherine Darnstadt, principal at Latent Design.
- Thomas Hussey, associate director at Skidmore, Owings and Merrill.
- Brett Charles Taylor, project manager at Skidmore, Owings and Merrill.
- Lucas Tryggestad, associate director at Skidmore, Owings and Merrill.