The former Spiegel Administration Building may get a third shot at redevelopment, according to a recent report in DNAinfo Chicago. We first became interested in the building at 1038 West 35th Street several years ago when we picked up an architecture photography client within sniffing distance of Bubbly Creek. On the way back to the office from long days of shooting we often found ourselves contemplating the building as we stood across the street waiting for the #35 bus.
This part of Bridgeport is quickly filling up with overflow residents from Chinatown, and while the local businesses remain the same as ever (furniture, woodworking, auto repair, light manufacturing…) many of the signs have changed from English to Chinese. So it should come as no surprise that DNAinfo tells us the new owner of the building is a company run by DaHuang Zhou whom it describes as an artist of world renown.
He apparently plans to turn the landmark building into a mixed-use development; the third person to try in the last decade. The previous attempts have failed, and Mr. Zhou is in the process of getting ownership of the building, which is in bankruptcy.
The building is sometimes referred to as the Spiegel catalog warehouse, but it’s actually the administration building. The confusion may come from the fact that it was designed in a loft style, which looks a lot like a warehouse. This was done so that different parts of the building could be reconfigured easily, which was necessary because it was also where all of the inbound mail orders were processed.
Spiegel had 11 buildings in the area, with 2.5 million square feet of space. The city bestowed landmark status on it in May of 2011 because:
More building specs:
- Original two-story building designed and built in 1936 by Battey & Kipp at a cost of $250,000
- Building permit issued September 11, 1936
- Occupancy in January, 1937
- On May 23, 1941 a building permit was issued for four additional floors, designed and built by Abraham Epstein (now known as A. Epstein and Sons). Construction was delayed by the start of World War II, but completed in November, 1942.
- One of the few Art Moderne industrial buildings remaining in Chicago
- The building was designed in the Art Moderne style to compliment the catalog’s 1930 transition from discounter back to high-end goods, where it started when it was founded as a store on Wabash Avenue in 1865
- The southeast and southwest corners of the building feature internal stairwells enclosed with glass block