The “Motor” Has Been Put Back Into the Chicago Motor Club Building

Model A Ford at the Hampton Inn Chicago Michigan Avenue

In 1928 when the Chicago Motor Club’s art deco skyscraper was completed at 68 East Wacker Place, the Ford Model A was the height of automotive sophistication.  Today, in states that allow it, we have electric eggs that navigate for themselves, leaving the “driver” free to sip a cup of tea and converse with the passengers.

The Chicago Motor Club long ago left for Aurora, while most of the Model A’s went to the scrap yard.  But its skyscraper remained a beloved part of of the city’s architectural menagerie.

As the building starts a new life as a Hampton Inn, the people behind the renovation decided to pay homage to the building’s heritage — by placing a 1928 Model A Ford on the mezzanine level, overlooking the magnificent lobby.

Chicago Architecture Blog photographer Milosh Kosanovich was there as the body of the car, sans wheels, was hoisted into its place of honor on the balcony.

The Hampton Inn people are looking for a snazzy nickname for the car, so they’re having a contest:

The installation event will also kick off the official social media naming contest for the car. Enthusiasts are encouraged to submit their name entry through the hotel’s Facebook or Twitter accounts using the hashtag #1928HamptonInnspiration. The winner will receive 200,000 Hilton HHonors Points and a custom engraved plaque with their name to be placed near the car.

 

Location: 68 East Wacker Place, The Loop

Editor

Author: Editor

Editor founded the Chicago Architecture Blog in 2003, after a long career in journalism. He can be reached at chicagoarchitectureinfo@gmail.com.

Share This Post On