Well, this has been a long time coming.
After years of anticipation, we’re finally getting our first concrete look at the redevelopment plans for Atrium Village, the low- and mid-rise apartment complex at 300 West Hill Street in the city’s Near North neighborhood. Last year the Onni Group out of Vancouver coughed up $53 million for the property, and is now ready to move forward with big, big plans.
When completed, the five-phase plan will include 1,500 residences, 47,000 square feet of retail space, and a seven-acre public park. For those of you who aren’t farmers or surveyors, seven acres is a little bit larger than the park at the heart of Lakeshore East.
Phase One involves the redevelopment of the southwest corner of North Wells and West Division Streets. There, a seven-story combo residential building/342-space parking podium will be built. It will be attached to “Building 1” — a 30-story apartment tower 341 feet tall. There will be 405 homes ranging in size from studios to three-bedroom units. This part also includes 25,000 square feet of retail space, and another 74 below-ground parking spaces for shoppers.
What’s interesting about this project is that all of Onni’s plans, drawn up by Hartshorne Plunkard Architecture, fit within the zoning framework the city approved back in 2012. That means no paperwork hassles on the horizon, and NIMBYs can go stick their collective heads in a pig.
Onni has already filed the paperwork for a building permit, and hopes to break ground next month so it can be completed by November, 2017.
More deets to greets:
- Address: 1150 North Wells Street
- 30 stories (an increase of three floors over last known plan)
- 341 feet tall
- 405 residences
- Width: 208 feet, 8½ inches
- Tower width: 69 feet
- Length: 214 feet, 10 inches
- Parking: 342 private spaces in retail/residential podium
- Parking: 74 public below-grade spaces for retail
- Bicycle parking: Yes. Amount unspecified
- Retail space: 25,000 square feet
- Loading docks off the public alley that connects to Division Street
- Residential parking entrance: driveway off of Wells Street
- Retail parking entrance: Alley off of Division Street
- Residential entrance: Off Wells Street
- LEED Silver
- Green roof alert: 50% (city requirement)
- Northwest corner of North Wells Street and West Hill Street
- 31 stories
- 340 feet tall
- 3-story parking podium running along Hill Street
- Parking podium includes a school
- North side of parking podium faced with approximately eight townhouses facing a public park
- Hill Street adjacent to the bend in the L tracks
- 35 stories
- 375 feet tall
- 4-story parking podium running north along the L tracks
- East side of parking podium faced with about a dozen townhomes facing a public park
- Six more townhomes lining the north side of the public park
- Division Street adjacent to the L tracks
- 39 stories
- 395 feet tall
- Shared podium with phase three building
- Small plot of land east of Phase Four
- 4 stories
- 30 feet tall