This month, Chicago’s Merchandise Mart has been the scene of a slew of engineering feats that would make any grocer jealous. August 12 was build night for the ninth annual Canstruction Chicago contest, a design and build competition benefiting the Greater Chicago Food Depository. 20 teams of architects, engineers, real estate developers, and others assembled their creations from ordinary canned goods, turning the Marts’ first floor into the world’s biggest canned goods aisle.
The displays are free for the public to see, but unlike most canned goods, these items are perishable; they’ll be dismantled on September 8. That still leaves a couple weeks to see the tasting of sculptures we’ve sampled below, plus many more.
A list of this year’s teams follows the photo gallery.
- BSA LifeStructures
- DLR Group / Hines / Gilbane, Inc.
- Eriksson Engineering Associates / FitzGerald Associates Architects / Power Construction / ECS Midwest
- exp US Services / Milhouse Charities
- Forum Studio / Clayco / MU/DAI
- Gensler / Skender Construction
- Ghafari Associates
- HDR / Primera Engineers, Ltd.
- Ware Malcomb Architects / McShane Construction
- Muller & Muller / Primera Engineers, Ltd.
- MWRD / ASCE Younger Member Group
- Perkins+Will / Thornton Tomasetti
- RATIO/smdp / Bulley & Andrews / Stearn-Joglekar
- Ross Barney Architects
- SmithGroupJJR / Mortenson Construction
- Valenti Builders / Myefski Architects
- VOA / KJWW / Pepper Construction / Berglund Construction
- Wight & Company
- W-T Engineering, Inc. / Earles Architects & Associates