While some parts of Chicago are adding residential towers which attract retailers to serve them, over the last decade the North/Clybourn area has done the opposite — experienced explosive retail growth that’s attracted residential projects. We can now add another one to the list.
901 Weed Street is proposed to be a 29-story, 407-unit residential building with ground floor retail and restaurant space. It’s situated across the street from the “SoNo” towers which by their conspicuousness have become landmarks in the mostly low-rise neighborhood.
The entire project actually includes two other two-story commercial buildings nearby. Since the tower will be joined to one of these low-rise buildings, it gets the Weed Street address even though it’s half a block south.
We’ll focus on the tower for this firehose:
- Address: 901 West Weed Street
- Developer: Fremont Square
- Developer: Weed Street III
- Architecture firm: RTKL
- Floors: 29
- Main tower maximum height: 339 feet
- Main tower roof height: 326 feet
- Secondary tower maximum height: 265 feet
- Secondary tower roof height: 254 feet
- Net site area: 61,570 square feet
- Residences: 407
- Parking: 110 spaces
- Parking entrance: off West Weed Street
- Bicycle parking: 50 spaces
- Loading dock berths: three
- Residential lobby: off North Fremont Street