It’s been a little over a year since we told you about the latest plan to convert the old Combined Insurance Company office building at 5050 North Broadway in Uptown into apartments. In that time, developer Cedar Street has put together a plan and is ready to move ahead.
Cedar Street bought the building in the spring of 2015 and planned to spend $150 million on the conversion. Booth Hansen did the design, which includes not only the big insurance company building, but the parking garage across the street, a surface parking lot on the southeast corner of Broadway and Winona, and an old factory building running along the CTA Red and Purple Line tracks.
The parking garage and insurance building will be renovated. The parking lot and factory will be replaced with an eight-story residential building.
- Address: 5036 North Broadway
- Address: 1201 West Carmen Avenue
- Address: 5047 North Broadway
- Address: 5077 North Broadway
- Address: 1125 West Winona Street
- Developer: Broadway 5050 Partners LLC
- For realsies: Cedar Street
- Architecture firm: Booth Hansen
- General contractor: Method Construction
- Net site area: 123,799 square feet
- Residences: 710
- Maximum floor area ratio: 5.0
- New building height: 90 feet, six inches
- Parking: 600 spaces
- Loading docks: Five