Dallas developer Trammell Crow is once again dipping its toe into the swirling waters of the Chicago real estate market.
Though its midwest headquarters is in Chicago, currently the firm has no properties here. It has a parking garage and an apartment building in the Chicago suburbs, but its main focus is Minneapolis. Until now.
The blockbuster growth just west of Downtown has T.C. throwing the dice it the Fulton Market District. The developer has filed paperwork to build a new 19-story residential building at 1367 West Fulton Market. That’s the southeast corner of Fulton Market and North Ogden Avenue.
The new building would have 315 residences, with 145 parking spaces, which shows that T.C. is targeting the flood of high-tech office workers washing the old Meatpacking District clean of its character and characters. We told you this would happen.
In an unusual move for a downtown residential property, those tech workers will get to rub elbows with the very people who serve them lattes and walk their toy dogs. That’s because T.C. has decided that, in compliance with Chicago Municipal Code 2-45-115, it will make 32 of the apartments in this building “affordable,” instead of writing a fat check to make the poors go away.
Perhaps because of Trammel Crow’s previous experience in the North Star State, it’s picked Minneapolis architecture firm ESG Architects to design the building.
- Address: 1367 West Fulton Market
- Address: 213 North Ogden Avenue
- Developer: Trammel Crow Chicago Development
- Architecture firm: ESG Architects
- Current zoning: M2-3 Light Industry District
- Requested zoning: PD via DX-5
- Net site area: 38,930 square feet
- Retail space: 16,725 square feet facing Ogden Avenue
- Floor area ratio: 8.1
- Roof height: 186 feet
- Penthouse height: 198 feet
- Residences: 315
- Affordable units: 32
- Auto parking spaces: 145
- Garage access: via north-south alley to west of building
- Loading docks: 2
- Loading dock access: via north-south alley to west of building
- Terraces at 4th floor and 19th floor
- Green roof alert! 15,230 square feet