One thing is very quickly leading to another when it comes to the 80-story skyscraper proposed for 110 North Wacker. The project was only just recently announced, and a week later the paperwork has already been filed with the city to make it a reality. For a building of that size, with no anchor tenant, developer Howard Hughes Corporation is certainly moving along like a spruce goose.
The new Goettsch Partners-deesigned tower will replace the 1950’s General Growth Properties Building, hunched along the banks of the Chicago River between West Randolph and West Washington Streets.
It’s similar to the old Chicago Sun-Times building that once occupied the prime riverfront slot where the Trump International Hotel and Tower stands. Except that when the Sun-Times building was torn down, nobody cared. At least the GGP pile has a champion: Joe Cahill, who back in 2014 penned An ode to the humblest building on Wacker for Crain’s Chicago Business.
That publication has been warning us for years that something big was coming to this location. and it should be no surprise that one thing is progressing to another. Hughes is a Texas company, and even Windy City architects gush about the freedom, speed, and ease that they experience putting up skyscrapers in the Lone Star State compared with Chicago.
And now that we can see the light at the end of the tunnel, here are the details headed our way:
- Address: 110 North Wacker Drive
- Developer: Howard Hughes Corporation
- Architecture firm: Goettsch Partners
- Landscaping: Wolff Landscape Architecture
- Net site area: 44,364 square feet
- Floor area ratio: 33.81 (16 base FAR + 17.81 in bonuses)
- Maximum height permitted: 800 feet
- Roof height: 760 feet
- Floors: 53 (Includes 13th floor, and 22M)
- Maximum length: 305 feet
- Maximum width: 138 feet, four inches
- Setbacks: 4th, 23rd, 37th, 52nd floors
- Building height hanging over the river walk: 87 feet, 6 inches
- Riverwalk height over river: 21 feet
- Elevators: Low-rise passenger: 8, Mid-rise passenger: 8, High-rise passenger: 8, Service: 3
- Automobile parking spaces: 110
- Automobile parking spaces level P1: 18 (15 regular + 3 handicapped)
- Automobile parking spaces level P2: 92 (60 valet + 16 double-stacked)
- Total automobile parking spaces permitted: 150
- Bicycle parking spaces: 25
- Loading docks: 4
- Plaza size: 22,320 square feet
- Building footprint: 22,044 square feet
- Public plaza vegetated area: 10,144 square feet
- Green roof alert! 15,000 square feet
Disclosure: Coincidentally, the author of this article lives in a house that is part of a Howard Hughes Corporation master planned community.