The first of two new buildings planned for Ashland Avenue in the Illinois Medical District has made it onto paper.
The new 19-story residential tower at 801 South Ashland has been anticipated for about a year, since KIG issued a press release stating that it formed a partnership with Guggenheim Real Estate, Atlantic Realty Partners and Focus Development for a $111 million expansion of the existing two-tower property.
The plan now is to add two new buildings to the Ashland Avenue-facing portion of the block: one on the northwest corner, and another on the southwest corner. So far, paperwork has only been filed for the southwest tower, designed by bKL Architecture in The Loop.
When complete, it will have 254 residences, and a generous 28,000 square feet of ground floor retail, which will be welcomed by neighbors and nearby workers, as the immediate area is somewhat under-retailed.
- Address: 801 South Ashland Avenue
- Address: 1532 West Taylor Street
- Address: 1501 West Polk Street
- Address: 800 South Laflin Street
- Developer: GRE Medical District City Apartments LLC
- Architecture firm: bKL Architecture
- Net site area: 74,409 square feet
- Floors: 19
- Floor Area Ratio: 3.68
- Maximum height: 210 feet
- Residences: 254
- Retail space: 28,000 square feet
- Automobile parking: 245 spaces
- Loading docks: two
- Green roof alert!