Plans for another residential tower in the North/Clybourn district are back in play, and bigger than before.
We last showed you plans for the 901 West Weed Street project back in 2015, when it was designed by RTKL. The new tower designed for CRM Properties by SCB is taller and slimmer than before.
The new application for fabrication in this location has the implication of reduced obfuscation. While current design is 126 feet taller than before, it is much thinner, blocking less sunlight and fewer views.
The new plan also brings with it a little brother: a seven-story residential and retail pup across the street at 1531 North Kingsbury Street. The vision is two stories of retail below, and four floors of residences above.
Both buildings will erase existing surface parking lots, so it’s a two-fer for a location where having a car is nearly optional. (Needs more ZipCars)
- Address: 901-921 West Weed
- Developer: Fremont Square LLC
- For realsies: CRM Properties
- Architecture firm: Solomon Cordwell Buenz
- Gross site size: 154,999 square feet
- Net site size: 108,797 square feet
- Zoning: C3-5 → C1-5 → PD
- Floor area ratio: 5.0
- Tower floors: 40
- Low-rise floors: 7
- Maximum tower height: 465 feet (up from 339 feet)
- Low-rise maximum height: 95 feet
- Tower roof height: 443 feet (up from 326 feet)
- Low-rise roof height: 85 feet
- High-rise length: 55 feet, 10 inches
- Low-rise width: 92 feet
- High-rise length: 210 feet, 10 inches
- Low-rise length: 145 feet
- Maximum number of residences: 500
- Affordable housing units: 100, to be located on site
- Automobile parking: 319 spaces
- Low-rise automobile parking spaces: 7
- Tower loading docks: 2
- Low-rise loading docks: 2
- Tower loading dock access: Via a two-way east-west alley between North Fremont Street and an alley opening on West Weed Street
- Low-rise loading dock access: Via an alley running southeast-northwest between West Weed Street and West Blackhawk Street
- Tower garage access: Via a one-way east-west alley between North Fremont Street and an alley opening on West Weed Street