If you don’t remember us reporting on 808 Wells years ago, that’s OK. This one’s been a long time coming.
We last mentioned 808 more than two years ago, when a sales office popped up in the Near North neighborhood.
Now called “AMLI 808,” the apartment building has appeared in the Chicago City Clerk’s office, which means its developers are serious about moving forward.
This time around, it’s no longer a podium and a 342-foot-tall tower with a butterfly roof. It’s two adjacent blocky mated masses, clocking in at 210 feet — 132 feet shorter.
The building is right on the CTA #66 Chicago route, and a block from a CTA Brown Line station, so car parking is minimal. Bicycle parking, on the other hand, is ample; with one space for each apartment.
Here are the deets:
- Address: 808 North Wells Street
- Address: 800-820 North Wells Street
- Address: 200-208 West Chicago Avenue
- Address: 201-209 West Institute Place
- Developer: 808 North Wells Devco LLC
- For realsies: AMLI
- Architecture firm: Hartshorne Plunkard Architecture
- Zoning: RBPD1303 → DX-7 → RBPD1303
- Net site area: 20,802 square feet
- Floor area ratio: 10.2
- Maximum height: 210 feet
- Maximum length: 218 feet, six inches
- Maximum width: 90 feet
- Floors: 17
- Retail space: 6,300 square feet
- Maximum residences: 297
- Affordable housing: 30 units, in the building
- Automobile parking: 16 spaces, accessed via north-south alley off West Institute Place
- Bicycle parking: 297 spaces
- Loading docks: 2, accessed via West Institute Place