Gold Coast Spy Mike sent us this demonstration of the fenestration situation by slotting it through our tip line.
You may ask yourself, “Self, isn’t it a little early to put up windows on that thing?” The answer is, “Maybe.”
In our seventeen years publishing, it’s been our observation that there isn’t really a right or wrong time to start glassing things in. Each project has its own needs and timeline.
- Some skyscrapers get glass early to protect the workers from Chicago’s weather.
- Some skyscrapers get glass early to make sure the panes fit right before they’re produced en masse.
- Some skyscrapers get glass early so it can be tested for performance, with varying definitions of what “performance” means.
- Some skyscrapers get glass early so the developer can see what the glass looks like in real life, and change it before the whole building is done.
- Some developers even put up a crazy quilt of different glass samples to see which one they like.
So, while it’s great to see something new glittering in the Gold Coast, don’t fall in love and go all vigilante squeegeeing JDL’s new building. You may end up shattered.