Four months ago, an alert reader noticed some people poking around at 609 West Randolph Street. He told us. We told you. Then last month, the project became official, as 42nd Ward Alderman Brendan Reilly started talking about a new development for the corner of Randolph and Jefferson in the West Loop. Now, paperwork has been filed with the city to get this office building built.
This project appears to be going by the name 601 West Randolph, which is also the address of a code orange building on the corner of this property. Even though the building is code orange, not code red, the developer will keep the old building. According to paperwork filed with the city:
…the Applicant agrees to retain and preserve the character-defining features of the building. In general, original features and materials of the character-defining features should be retained and preserved as much as reasonably possible, while any changes should be compatible with the building’s historic character.
Here are the other details:
- Address: 601-611 West Randolph Street
- Developer: Chicago 601 Randolph LLC
- For realsies: Vista Development
- Architecture firm: Antunovich Associates
- Zoning: DX-7 → BPD
- Property size: 9,908 square feet
- Retail space: 1,770 square feet in the new building, 2,258 square feet in the old 601 West Randolph building.
- Floors: 15
- Maximum height: 211 feet
- Floor area ratio: 11.5 (7.0 base + 4.5 bonus)
- Automobile parking: none
- Green roof: 2,800 square feet