As redevelopment expands in Fulton Market like a ZipLoc bag filled with vinegar and baking soda, it’s pushing closer and closer to the east-west Metra tracks. The latest project requesting a railroad view is at 311 North Sangamon, where plans are afoot to put up a 14-story building populated with offices and a hotel.
The developers want to put the new building along the north side of the block bounded by West Wayman Street, North Peoria Street, West Fulton Market, and North Sangamon Street. To do that, the new building will combine two lots: 310 North Peoria, an 1890 warehouse which will get a new fifth floor, and 311 North Sangamon, a two-story restaurant building which will be torn down and replaced with the new 14-story hotel.
As you can imagine, this makes for a pretty skinny building. About 48 feet wide. It also means there’s no room for parking.
- Address: 311-315 North Sangamon Street
- Address: 901-925 West Wayman Street
- Address: 310-314 North Peoria Street
- Developer: MRR 311 N. Sangamon, LLC
- Lot size: 12,500 square feet
- Floor area ratio: 8.1
- Roof height: 143 feet, four inches
- Maximum height: 149 feet, four inches
- Floors: 14
- Maximum hotel rooms: 296
- Ground floor retail space: 6,000 square feet
- Automobile parking: none
- Bicycle parking: 20 spaces
- Loading docks: none
- Hotel access: via North Sangamon Street
- Office access: via West Wayman Street