History Lesson: Saint Basil Greek Orthodox Church and Independence Boulevard Seventh-Day Adventist Church
Mar10

History Lesson: Saint Basil Greek Orthodox Church and Independence Boulevard Seventh-Day Adventist Church

Two churches on Chicago’s West Side offer a window on the bygone world of Chicago’s Eastern-European Jewish community. At the corner of Ashland Avenue and Polk Street stands St. Basil Greek Orthodox Church (733 South Ashland Avenue in Little Italy). Alexander L. Levy designed this building in 1910 as a synagogue for the Ohave Sholom Mariampol congregation. This congregation had been established in 1870 in the area around Maxwell and...

Read More